The Greater Ravenswood Special Service Area
Known as Business Improvement District in other cities, Chicago’s Special Service Areas fund expanded services and programs through a localized property tax levy. As an economic development tool, the SSA helps to ensure that tax dollars are used locally and, because the taxes raised allow us to provide consistent and reliable services, the Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce is able to actively maintain and promote the Ravenswood business community.
SSA #31 Programs and Services
Established in 2008, the Greater Ravenswood Special Service Area (SSA #31) provides special programs for areas of Clark Street, Damen Avenue, Lawrence Avenue, Montrose Avenue, Wilson Avenue, and the Ravenswood Corridor.
The SSA offers a wide range of programs and services. For example, the SSA manages contracts for services such as snow removal, litter abatement and landscaping. Additionally, the SSA also helps assist local businesses through public relations, marketing, special events, and storefront improvements.
View the SSA #31 2022 Annual Report here.
- Ravenswood People Spaces Project GRCC has commissioned The Lakota Group, a Chicago-based urban design and landscape architecture firm, to lead the development of and implement a series of new community gathering spaces. GRCC and the Lakota Group design team are exploring Ravenswood’s assets and placemaking needs to identify locations and develop designs for several "People Spaces" along our commercial streets. Read more “Ravenswood People Spaces Project”
- Snow Removal Services Snow removal and salting within SSA boundaries. Read more “Snow Removal Services”
- Landscaping & Neighborhood Beautification From litter to holiday decor, SSA #31 keeps Ravenswood beautiful. Read more “Landscaping & Neighborhood Beautification”
- Public Art & Mural Program SSA, GRCC, and 47th Ward are working together to bring art to our neighborhood. Read more “Public Art & Mural Program”
- Neighborhood Banner Program Prime visibility for local businesses. Read more “Neighborhood Banner Program”
- Storefront Improvement + Façade Rebate Program The Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce and SSA #31 offer two storefront improvement programs: the Ravenswood Façade Rebate Program and the Graffiti Removal and Film Installation Program. Read more “Storefront Improvement + Façade Rebate Program”
Visit the City of Chicago SSA page to learn more about how SSAs work.
SSA #31 Commissioners
- Nick Yassan, Rany Management
- Andi Mints Gilreath, Resident
- Michael Parker, Jersey Mike’s Subs
- Omotola Akinbiyi, Bon Femmes
View the 2018 SSA #31 Service Provider Agreement.
With the goal of sustaining the competitiveness of the commercial, industrial and residential districts of Ravenswood, the SSA helps brand the community as attractive and inviting.
Special Service Area #31 is administered by the Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce and managed by the SSA Commission. Acting as a representative group of local property owners and business owners, the SSA commission provides oversight and makes recommendations on the SSA’s annual budget and services.
Greater Ravenswood SSA #31 Map
- Greater Ravenswood
- Other SSA Boundaries
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Districts
- Ward Boundaries
Requests for Proposals
RFPs will be posted as opportunities become available. SSA #31 posts annual RFPs for holiday decorations, landscaping, litter abatement, sidewalk powerwashing and snow removal, among other potential RFPs.
- No RFPs currently open
Questions about active RFPs or upcoming service requests can be directed to GRCC Executive Director Megan Bunimovich at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-975-2088 ext. 101.
The Latest from SSA #31
Call for Artists: Utility Pole Beautification Project
The Ravenswood Community Council has issued a Request for Proposals from Artists interested in a new public art project in Ravenswood! Read more “Call for Artists: Utility Pole Beautification Project”
Ravenswood SSA #31 Services Survey
GRCC and SSA #31 provide programs and services to help maintain and promote Ravenswood’s commercial corridors and small businesses. We’re looking for your feedback on that work! Complete the survey for a chance to win up to $75 in gift cards from Ravenswood small businesses! Read more “Ravenswood SSA #31 Services Survey”
Call for Artists: Public Mural in Ravenswood
Ravenswood Community Council and 47th Ward Alderman Matt Martin have issued a Call for Artists interested in designing and installing a new public mural in Ravenswood! Read more “Call for Artists: Public Mural in Ravenswood”
Upcoming SSA Meetings
Meetings held on Zoom. Meetings begin at 2 p.m., unless otherwise noted, and are open to the public per the Illinois Open Meetings Act.
Interested in becoming an SSA commissioner?
To become and SSA commissioner, you must be a property owner or tenant of property within the SSA boundaries. Vacancies on the commission are filled by an application process in which the alderman, members of the community, and the GRCC gather feedback about applicants. Then, a nominating committee reviews the applications and suggests a slate of commissions, before the Alderman and mayor approve each applicant. If you’re interested in learning more, please contact us.