The Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce and Special Service Area #31 Commission are asking for your input about the programs and services offered on key arterial streets in the neighborhood by the current Special Service Area.
For those that may still have questions, we wanted to provide some information about what the SSA is, what it does and why the renewal of its funding is important.
Special Service Area #31 was created in 2007 to provide enhanced cleaning, landscaping, snow removal and other services on Ravenswood’s primary streets and to help contribute to the vibrancy, appeal and identity of Ravenswood for residents, workers and visitors. You can view our most recent annual report here.
The current boundaries are:
- Lawrence Avenue between Clark and Leavitt
- Wilson Avenue between Hermitage and Damen
- Montrose Avenue between Clark and Seeley
- Irving Park Road between Ashland and Marshfield (north side of the street)
- Damen Avenue between Argyle and Sunnyside
- Ravenswood Avenue between Bryn Mawr and Belmont
- Clark Street between Ainslie and Montrose
The proposed additions are:
- Irving Park Road between Ashland and Marshfield (south side of the street) MAP
- Provided sidewalk trash removal and power washing
- Provided snow removal on Ravenswood sidewalks
- Provided supplemental snow removal services for the Ravenswood Corridor
- Installed 26 new flower planters and 326 tree beds along Ravenswood’s main streets
- Installed 20 new Ravenswood-branded bike racks in the neighborhood
- Provided landscaping for 90,000 square feet of corridors in Ravenswood
- Partnered with the 47th Ward’s mural initiative to install a mural on a previously blighted Wilson Avenue wall
- Issued facade rebate grants for small businesses
- Offered incentive for holiday shoppers to support small businesses with our Unwrap Ravenswood rewards program
- Collaborated with the Ravenswood Community Council in the publishing of a neighborhood retail guide highlighting Ravenswood’s businesses
Why support SSA #31?
- Need to maintain ongoing, consistent and reliable funding for local services
- SSAs provide a locally controlled way for our community to implement enhancements in the way we envision them
- SSA services raise appeal and property value of homes, businesses
- SSA funding ensures local tax dollars go to local services
If the City does not grant the SSA reconstitution:
- No funding for snow removal
- No funding for litter pickup
- No funding for maintenance of streetscapes
- No funding or resources to maintain flower planters & hanging baskets
- Condominium fees could potentially rise for some residents as associations will be required to contract out for snow removal, etc.
Thank you for supporting the Ravenswood community and SSA #31. Together, we can continue to make Ravenswood a great place to live and work.
For more information about Special Service Area #31 Greater Ravenswood and the services it provides, please contact Megan Bunimovich at 773-975-2088 or firstname.lastname@example.org.